1800 800 340

Frequently Asked Questions - Aged Care

FAQs - Aged Care

Find a list of some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Call My Aged Care to find out what supports you could be entitled to.

My Aged Care is Australian Government Initiative to help people navigate the aged care system. My Aged Care is part of the Australian Government’s changes to the aged care system which have been designed to give people more choice, more control and easier access to a full range of aged care services.

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the website for more information www.myagedcare.gov.au

There are many services out there to help people in financial stress. To view some organisations that may be able to assist you please download Factsheet 3 and 6 on Financial and Income Support.

There is income support in the form of Centrelink payments.

There is also support in the form of Financial Counselling.

The Northern Rivers NILS Program can assist low income earners in purchasing essential household appliances by offering a no interest loan of up to $1200.

To find out more please contact: 1800 509 994

Housing NSW provides assistance in NSW under the Housing Pathways. This means that assistance is delivered by Housing NSW and participating community housing providers (together referred to as social housing providers).

Clients can apply for social housing assistance from any participating housing provider by using a single application form. Applications for housing assistance can be lodged in person, by mail or over the phone (temporary accommodation or Rentstart only)

Call Housing NSW on 1800 422 322

Alternatively you could call North Coast Community Housing (NCCH) to discuss options.

The North Coast Community Housing Company Ltd (NCCH) is a not-for-profit company managing long-term social and affordable housing for people with special needs and residents with low and moderate incomes in the far North Coast region of New South Wales in Australia.

Call NCCH on (02) 6627 5300

If you are frail aged, have a disability, or care for an aged person or an adult or child with a disability, your local Home Modifications Service may be able to help you carry out work on your home to make it more accessible.

To find your local Home Modifications service visit http://www.homemods.info/service-directory



Legal Aid NSW
delivers a range of innovative, high quality legal services to eligible assist in the resolution of legal problems.

The local contact number for the North Coast of NSW is (02) 6621 2082.

Please see Factsheet 7 on Legal Support for more information.

Alternatively you could also call LawAccess NSW on 1300 88 529

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

The Northern Rivers Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service advises and advocates for tenants from Tweed Heads to Red Rock (between Grafton and Coffs Harbour). It is a free service providing information and advice to all tenants, including private, Department of Housing and Caravan Park residents.

Contact Number: 1800 649 135



As a first step its best to call My Aged Care as an aged care facility might not be the best option. Please call 1800 200 422.

The Australian Government has produced a booklet called "Five Steps to Entry into an Aged Care Home'

This booklet aims to help older people, families and carers understand the process for moving into an aged care home.

It outlines five steps to follow and what to do at each step.

The five steps are:

1.         Assessing eligibility

2.         Finding an aged care home

3.         Fees and charges

4.         Applying to an aged care home

5.         Living in an aged care home.

To download the booklet click here

The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system. For more information click here. For further information call the My Aged Care hotline on 1800 200 422




takeabreak.com.au is an online holiday portal designed to help you plan fantastic holidays in Australia. We list the most diverse range of holiday accommodation in Australia

The Takeabreak website has the ability to search for holiday accommodation by accessibility. The website also has deals on accessible accommodation here.

Please note that before booking a holiday it is always best to call the hotel/resort to make sure that the accommodation is acceptable to your needs.